Friday, February 18, 2011

The Internet Ate My Homework

...I'm not quite sure what happened this year, but I seem to have fallen under the sway of the movement that has been taking my generation by storm for the past ten years, namely, wasting time on the internet (dun dun DUN).  Actually, I probably do know what happened:  I graduated from college and stopped having to spend every waking minute on school-related activities.  Then I moved to a small town, got job that is only part-time, and discovered tv tropes wiki (click if you dare; you risk losing untold hours of your life).  Of course, I had about this much free time when I was dancing, especially the first year...but I didn't have an internet connection then, or even a computer--something which boggles my mind now, when I think about it.

I am doing my best to keep the procrastination monster bound and gagged, or at least held on a very short leash.  But it's a slippery slope.  I think, "Oh, I'll just go over to tor.com for a minute or two," and before I know it I end up clicking on some link, and ending up at some completely random (and yet fascinating) destination.  It does lead to some pretty rad discoveries (see below), but my sense of myself as a serious person with a long attention span and (any) ability to focus is somewhat shaken.

This is pretty accurate compared to my perspective...
...This one less so, but they're both pretty rad.
I have been able to crawl my way up out of the abyss frequently enough that I am still keeping up with the things I need (or, in the case of this blog, want) to do with my time, but you know what they say, "The first step is admitting you have a problem..."

1 comment:

  1. I am pretty sure I commented on this post on Monday, but I guess the Internet ate that, too ...had to give a shout out to tvtropes, I have also wasted HOURs of my life on that site
    and say that I am really enjoying the blog, even though I don't comment as often as I read.
    and that map is awesome.

    ReplyDelete